Rice Idli is a south indian receipe popular throughout India. It is prepared by steaming a batter of black lentils or urad dal (de-husked) and rice. Most often idlis are eaten at breakfast or as a snack. They are usually served in pairs with chutney, sambhar, or other accompaniments.
Preparation Time: 10 min (excluding 11-12 hrs for soaking and fermenting)
Cooking Time: 10-15 min
- Urad Dal (Black lentil, dehusked): 1 cup
- Cream of rice: 2 cups
- Ghee: 1 tablespoon
- Salt: to taste
1. Soak urad dal for whole night (or 5-6 hours) and cream of rice for an hour.
2. Grind the urad dal finely in a food processor and add salt to it as per your taste.
3. To this add soaked cream of rice by squeezing excess of water in it and mix them well.
4. Now allow it to ferment for the whole night.
5. After the batter is fermented, apply some ghee to the idli plates and pour the batter in idli plates, then take some water in the pressure cooker (or a vessel) and place these idli plates into the cooker.
6. Cook these idlis on steam for 10-15 minutes.
7. Now the delicious rice idli is ready to eat and it can be served with coconut chutney or gun powder or sambhar.