Dosa is a staple dish for south indians, however now popular throughout India. It is made from rice batter and black lentils. It can be served as breakfast, lunch or dinner. Dosas are always served hot, either folded in half or rolled like a wrap. Here is a recipe of plain dosa that can be enjoyed with sambhar or chutney.
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 2-3 minutes for each dosa
- Black Lentils (Urad Dal): 1 cup
- Rice: 2 cups
- Fenugreek seeds: 1/2 tsp
- Yellow Split chickpeas (Chana dal): 1/4 cup
- Salt: to taste
- Oil as required
1.Soak rice, urad dal, chana dal and fenugreek seeds for 6 hours.
2.Then grind them to a fine thin batter by adding little water.
3. Add salt to it and leave it covered for 12 hours for fermentation.
4. Now heat a non stick tawa and spread 1 tbsp of the batter on the whole of the pan.
5. Grease all the corners and then cook it on the other side also.
6. Put little water on the tawa and wipe it with a clean cloth before making each dosa.
7. Serve them hot with hot sambhar and chutney.