Sorakaya moongdal curry is a south indian recipe. Its main ingredients are bottle gourd (or sorakaya) and small split yellow lentils (or moong dal). There are many recipes prepared using bottle gourd in India. This is one of them, combined with lentils and it tastes awesome. It can be served with chapati or puri or rice.
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
- Bottle gourd (Sorakaya): 300 gms
- Moong Dal: ½ cup
- Onions: 2 small
- Ginger garlic paste: 1 ½ tablespoon
- Green chilies: 6
- Cumin powder: 1 tablespoon
- Coriander powder: 1 tablespoon
- Salt: 1 ½ tablespoon
- Mustard seeds: 1 teaspoon
- Cumin seeds: 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric: ½ teaspoon
- Oil: 2 tablespoons
1. Peel the bottle gourd and cut it into small pieces.
2. Heat oil in a pan. When oil is hot, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, green chilly and curry leaves.
3. When they start spluttering, add onion pieces, ginger and garlic paste. Cook for 2 mins.
4. Now add bottle gourd and fry them for another 2 mins. Then add turmeric powder moongdal and fry for another 3 mins.
5. Transfer this into pressure cooker and add salt, half cup water. Cook on medium flame for 2 whistles.
6. Finally, add cumin powder and coriander powder and mix well.
7. Sorakaya moongdal curry is ready to serve. Serve hot with rice or chapati or puri.