Gunta Ponganalu is a popular, delicious & healthy recipe made in Southern part of India. This recipe makes use of very little oil, so its very healthy. Also it is rich in carbohydrates. It is generally served as breakfast.
Preparation Time: 13 – 15 Hours (including soaking & fermentation)
Cooking Time: 10 Minutes
- Urad Dal/Minapa Pappu/Black Gram Dal: 1 cup
- Rice: 2 cups
- Onion: 1 (chopped)
- Green chilies: 2
- Cumin seeds: 1 tsp
- Ginger: 1 tsp (chopped)
- Channa Dal/Senaga Pappu: 2 tsp
- Oil for frying
- Salt: to taste
1. Soak rice, Urad dal and Chana dal for 7-8 hrs. Strain and grind the soaked dal and rice to a fine paste. Ferment the batter for 6-7 hrs. Add salt to taste and combine well. (Alternately you can use left over dosa or idli batter too).
2. Add chopped onions, chopped green chilli, copped ginger , cumin seeds to the batter and combine well.
3. Pour few drops of oil into each depression of the ponganalu penam. Place flame on medium high for a minute. Pour batter into each depression and allow to cook with lid for 4-5 minutes undisturbed and cook on low to medium flame. It will cook to a golden brown shade. Flip over with help of a spoon or fork and allow to cook for 2-3 minutes without lid.
4. Remove onto plate. Serve hot ponganalu with chutney or gun powder of your choice.