Sorakaya Pulusu is a South Indian recipe, popular in Andhra Pradesh. The main ingredient of this recipe is Sorakaya Pulusu (Bottlegourd), cooked in sweet and spicy tamarind sauce. So this dish has combination of sweet, spicy and tangy flavours. It is generally served with rice.
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
- Bottle gourd (sorakaya): 300 gms
- Onions: 4 small
- Ginger garlic paste: 1 ½ tablespoon
- Green chilies: 3
- Cumin seeds: 1 tablespoon
- Coriander seeds: 1 tablespoon
- Fenugreek seeds: 1/2 teaspoon
- Tamarind: lemon size
- Jaggery: according to taste
- Chilli powder: 1 tablespoon
- Salt: 1 ½ tablespoon
- Mustard seeds: 1 teaspoon
- Cumin seeds: 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric Powder: ½ teaspoon
- Oil: 2 tablespoons
- Curry leaves: 1 bunch
1. Peel the bottle gourd and wash it and cut into big pieces.
2. In a pan, dry roast the fenugreek seeds, cumin seeds and coriander seeds and keep them aside.
3. Also dry roast the onion pieces and blend all the roasted ingredients in a blender.
4. In another pan, heat oil and add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, green chilli and curry leaves. When they start spluttering, add chopped onions, ginger and garlic paste, and cook for 2 mins.
5. Now add the bottle gourd pieces and fry them for 2 mins and then add turmeric powder and the above blended paste. Mix well and fry for another 3 mins.
6. Then add chilli powder, salt, tamarind juice and water to it; mix well and cook, until it boils. Now add jaggery and boil it for another 5 mins.
7. Now sorakaya pulusu is ready to serve. Serve hot with rice.