Vegetable Pongal is very popular South Indian breakfast. In this recipe, I have used green moong sprouts and corn. Sprouts are very good for health. Kids love this pongal very much. Also I have used sambhar powder, which gives an awesome flavor to it.
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 25 mins
- 3/4 cup rice
- 3/4 cup moong dal
- 4 tbsp butter or ghee
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 10-15 black pepper (coarsely crush them)
- 1 chopped onion
- 3 chopped green chilies
- 1 chopped carrot
- 1 chopped potato
- 8-10 chopped beans
- 1/4 cup moong sprouts
- 1/4 cup fresh corn kernels
- 1 large chopped tomato
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 2-3 tbsp sambar powder (optional)
- For this recipe, always use 1:1 ratio of rice and moong dal. First soak them separately for 30 mins.
- Heat 4 tbsp of ghee in a pressure cooker and add cumin seeds in it, let them splutter for a minute, then add crushed black pepper.
- Add onions and green chilies, fry them until the onions becomes soft.
- Add all vegetables, moong sprouts and sweet corn and let them cook for about 5 mins.
- add chopped tomatoes, turmeric powder, salt and sambhar powder then mix well and cook for another 3 more mins.
- Finally add soaked rice and moong dal and then water in the ratio of 1:3(for 1 cup of rice and moong dal, add 3 cups of water).
- Pressure cook the pongal until 3 whistles then it is ready to serve.
Serve hot with either coconut chutney or groundnut chutney.